Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Season Begins (Again)


Arizona - Sonora Desert Museum has cool stuff


Well, well, well… Here we are, ready to jump across the southern border again. This is the third season and I, for one, am intrigued by what we will find this time! We have included plans for a different experience in several ways this season. First, we will have Sandy’s (and by inference, mine as well) grandson joining us in or around Puerto Vallarta. That is likely to be too much fun in so many ways. This would be the first person younger than 20 years of age to stay on the boat with us! We have also planned a stop in Topolobampo for a detour into Copper Canyon via train. Naturally, there will be a variety of people popping in and out as we move around in Mexico so I am certain that there will be adventures derived from that alone.

Some items of curiosity are: Will we have hassles about anything that we are bringing over the line? Is there a real issue (as we have heard recently) with rock throwers in Hermosillo? Is the highway still in good shape? Have we remembered everything we need for projects once we get there? Will the composting marine head fit and work as we have envisioned? There are just too many things swinging in the wind for us to be sure right now. There is sooo much work to do when we get there. Only time and effort will tell if we have planned well enough. With the new dog aboard there will be challenges there as well, I am just sure of it.

I did find out this afternoon that Abby (the dog) is a Democrat. I had finished up my ballot to send it back to Washington before we leave tomorrow and she must have suspected that I might have put in one or two votes for Republicans (she will likely vote a straight ticket) so she ate the envelope while I was out on a last minute gathering of list items. I know that sounds suspiciously like, “the dog ate my homework,” BUT since I rarely vote a “straight” ticket she may discerned my direction and decided immediate action was required. In any event, the mauled ballot was patched up and will be sent off to be recorded.

We understand, too, that raccoons are invading the docks at Marina Real in San Carlos. They have become quite brazen apparently and have boarded boats in search of food or shelter. That’s a giant, “Yikes!!!” if I think too hard about it. I mean, I can see waking up to the face of a raccoon string at me from the hatch over our bunk and hoping I can close the hatch before Sandy wakes up!!! Too much of a problem!! I have, in the past, seen them (raccoons) in the garbage cans in San Carlos Marina devastating the refuse. They are quite nasty if they feel threatened. Anyway, this is something to ponder as we drive south. The possible images are terrifying!!

1 comment:

Lee said...

Buen viaje hermano.
Good luck with all of the boat work and training Abby to keep the racoons away!