Saturday, March 28, 2009

So Much In So Few (Days)

on
It seems that we have crammed quite a bit into just a few days in Mazatlán this time. One thing that stands out right now is that the food, in general, has been superb! We have managed to hit several restaurants in the area and with one exception have been very pleased (indeed)! There is a place at the head of the dock called “Gus Gus” and it is the place where we found the melt-in-your-mouth fillet Mignon (Filete Miñon). Their breakfasts are very good too. We popped up to the “Citrus Ocean” (third floor at the lighthouse) and experienced excellent service and cuisine. Last night we went to “Isaa”, which oddly enough is located across the street from Wal-Mart, had free margaritas along with a spectacular array of fish dishes. My Mahi Mahi in cream sauce was “to die for” and the rice and vegetables combination was the perfect topper. The one that didn’t work out quite so well was a franchise USA sort of wings/bbq place that seemed like part of Texas had plopped itself down to give us truly awful food. It even served Bud Light to any dumb enough to order that in Mexico… I stuck to Negro Modelo and came out slightly ahead even though I could not finish the ½ chicken I ordered. We have been into downtown twice in the short time we have been here too and that has allowed us to hit the open market there. It is still one of my favorite things to go to such places because of the non-Wal-Mart-ness of them. There is an element of chaotic charm that beguiles me every time. It was here that we buy the T-shirts and flip flops that are our mainstay for clothing. The produce is as fresh as any you will find in the box stores and a whole lot less expensive too. Within a few blocks are, typically, plenty of other stores that cater to all sorts of needs and we can be fairly leisurely at everything except crossing the streets. If you like people watching there is lots of that available as well. I especially like to watch first encounters of tourists with the meat section of the open market!!

So, now we have put in the waypoints for the trek across the Sea of Cortez and will take off tomorrow for La Paz. This leg is just Sandy and I for crew because Patty is doing a side trip to Loreto (via Los Angeles). We will all meet up again in La Paz and then wait a few days for Hank to come for a visit. We also have to have the boat hauled out for a survey and perhaps a new coat of bottom paint. It is my hope that there will be enough time for me to have an eye exam and obtain some new prescription sun glasses and maybe some regular glasses. It has been awhile since I have had my eyes checked so I am looking forward to this even though I think not much has changed.

No comments: