Monday, March 28, 2011

Sights & Sounds


     Sometimes there are things that bring back small enjoyments from another time.  We are in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, Mexico in a small marina that has the plus of not being very busy.  The facilities are good but limited and the distance to get to anything, buses, restaurants, or shopping is a little more than, say, Marina Mazatlán or El Cid, is slightly more than is “easy”.

     Although I just had knee surgery (two days ago) this is not about that.  Due to the surgery I am spending the nights in the salon on the bed we made up from the table there.  It is not a perfect bed but it is easier to get around than if I was in the aft suite trying to hike myself up to the higher bed there.  In any event, this morning I was nudged awake by the dog, Abby, who spends part of each night split between my temporary bed and the usual bed in the aft cabin.  On waking there was instantly a smile on my face that I soon realized was from a familiar sound more than from Abby’s gentle persuasion to get up.  In the last few years we spend the majority of our “Mexico” time much further south than Mazatlán and there are sights and sounds there that I now think of as Home (grackles make a great sound for instance) but there is something missing.  Part of reason is that when are anchored out we are too far from shore to hear anything less loud than distant traffic.  

     I can now hear you asking, “So, what is it that you heard?”

     From my years of living in Arizona the most constant morning or quiet time sound you can hear is the cooing of the three types of dove that reside there year round.  The Morning Dove, White Winged Dove and the diminutive Inca Dove all make the subtle coo that is the back drop for mornings with coffee on the porch or companions on quiet walks through the desert.  It is the sound that has secretly meant “home” to me since I was very young.  That is what brought the smile to me this morning and I recognized the missing ingredient as it brought the warmth of home back to me.  Do not be confused about this; I love my cruising life but it was a welcome, refreshing find this morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know just those sounds you speak of and it makes me feel at home when I am back in Tucson and hear the coos from the doves as well. On Sunday morning, I woke up and heard the Spring birds chirping in Portland which brought a smile to my face as well. I could sit for hours in the morning just listening to birds chirping. But, the doves definitely bring even more of that "home" feeling.

beisbolfan2007 said...

The doves are great, but I really love the mockingbirds.