Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Las Vegas Experience


A Borrowed Picture


The Las Vegas I now know is much different than the one I knew prior to now!!

Normally, for me, Las Vegas was a place on my way to somewhere else or a brief stopover while working or simply a place to disappear some cash while I waited for something else to happen. Believe it or not, I never went to any of the shows here. I know, I know, how could that have been? Well, I am not completely sure I know the answer to that question but I suspect it has to do with my partner now correcting that problem.

As happens from time to time, Sandy instigated this and mentioned taking in a show or maybe two while we are here for me to empty out a storage unit I have had for the last year or so. It is hot and the stuff in storage is fairly dusty. By three in the afternoon I was ready to stop and do almost anything else. Sandy had been busy on the computer while I sorted through the contents of the storage unit trying to condense it all still further. Having down sized several times now and living the vagabond life that does not include hauling Stuff around I was really ready for a break. We had to go for a ride, Sandy said, and that was to be down into the heart of the insanity that is the area of the MGM Grand. Gads!! Traffic and tons of people… oh wait, it is the July 4th weekend… what was I thinking? Anyway, I had not gotten cleaned up yet and we were off to pick up tickets for KA. Slow traffic, difficult parking and not enough local knowledge to know how to overcome the obstacles without creating new ones made for an “exciting” trip into the maw!

As it turned out when we got to the ticket counter we had the assistance of a somewhat scattered but very friendly and helpful lady who got the tickets for, not one but three shows that Sandy had scheduled us for!! Yikes!!! I still had boxes to go through. The show started at 7:00 but we had to get there no later than 6:45 so we would participate in the “Pre-Show”. We also still had to get back to the RV Park to clean up and grab a snack or maybe dinner too. “Not likely,” I thought as we got lost on our way back to the RV. We needed gas, we needed an ATM, we definitely needed showers (or, I did at least) and we needed a map to get back to the MGM on a better route. The showers were handled, the meal and/or snack went by the way side but we did manage to get some gas, find an ATM and locate a serviceable map. Then off we raced to get back to the theater (“theatre” on property). This was a race we were losing but we gamely stuck to it and arrived breathless at 6:30. After some confusion about the location of our seats we settled in; not daring fate by going up to the concession for refreshment.

The occasional flaming ball would erupt from the stage and the sound system was noticed to be first rate as we waited. Everywhere there were signs and portents of the act to follow that said it would be in a class of its own. The surrounds of the seating had indications of action to take place and the stage was in absence except for a thin walkway curving around in front of where you would expect the stage to be.

The Pre-Show was illuminating for those who forget to leave their cell phones at home or those that believe everything in universe can and should be photographed. Let’s just say that the message was quite clear… but still missed by the guy sitting in front of us as he snapped pictures (thankfully mostly without flash) for first part of the show.

So, here is where I will NOT include a blow by blow account of the action that ensued. What you really need to know is that I doubt many have seen the perfection to which stagecraft has ascended without having seen a Cirque du Soleil performance. The actor/gymnasts are incredible as well but their back drop is the multi-layered hydraulically moved sections of stage and the ropes and cables that has truly special effects happening rapid fire from all directions all the time! As I said a few hours later, “I am still processing what I saw,” and even now trying to recall all the bits and pieces I have snatches of things that will continue to have impact for the months to come!! This was really an experience beyond what I had expected (I mean, real fireworks on stage!!!).

Take a look:

http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/en/shows/ka/default.aspx

No comments: