Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Animal Life... on Land


Just a few words about what we have seen along the way. Mostly we have seen the marine critters everywhere and have mentioned the whales, dolphins, rays, turtles and various fish. There is another branch of animal that we encounter each time we disembark. Of these we have mentioned the iguanas in Colimia, the crocidile in Tencatita, the snake in the pool at Barra de Navidad, the tons of birds everywhere and, I think, made mention of some of the dogs and cats along the way. We went to the islands of Espiritu Santo, Partida and San Francisco recently and I started noticing the lizards a bit more. These guys range in size from the very small (about the size of your pinky finger) to nearly a small cat. On other Sea of Cortez trips I have seen larger ones (on Isla Esteban for example) but this time variety has caught my attention. The colors are more subtle than I have managed to capture yet but this should give you some idea of their differing markings. I am not completely sure but somewhere must be a field guide book to help me start to understand these residents of the Islas!!


One animal I do not have a picture of is the goat that surprised Patty and Hank on Espiritu Santo when they went ashore... that was a definite "spot"!! I had heard that there were goats there but had never had anyone personally verify their existence.


I will have to try to get more pictures of these guys as we move north this next three weeks.

1 comment:

Brad said...

Hi Chris,

I was saddened to hear that Travis passed away. Still have his songs on my hard drive and Bud and he are regularly in my mixes. Very nice article in Starnet today (5/12). My condolences to you and your family.

Brad