Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hiking, Walking and Dinghies


One of the things about going cruising again is that getting around is always by public transportation, a dinghy or your own two feet much of the time. There are times when renting a car is an option but usually the adventure of a bus ride or walking somewhere is the best short term option. The dinghy is also a really good way but it too often means that you go to some dinghy dock and then start your trek to your destination. I am looking forward to this because, to me, it is part of what is healthy about the lifestyle. It also it helps regulate the pace at which things happen. We are so used to instantly transporting ourselves wherever we want to be and without much thought that this is taken so much for granted.

><(((\">`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><(((º>¸.
•´¯`•.¸. , . .•´¯`•.. ><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><(((º>

Dock parties are a definite part of cruising and we just had one of the best ones I have ever attended. It was informal and with one of the best food presentations I have ever seen. As they say, “OMG” good food from every direction not to mention several bottles of wine. This IS, after all, wine country. We have some great many fantastic dock-mates here going on to join Ha-Ha with us!

><(((\">`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><(((º>¸.
•´¯`•.¸. , . .•´¯`•.. ><(((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><(((º>

So far we have walked to a Chevy’s nearby for dinner… then to a small but well supplied store and then to a larger commercial complex. The total distance has been about 6 or 7 miles all told but it was a way to see this little part of Emeryville/San Francisco without traffic pressure. The walk along a bit of boardwalk was the best. It was a meandering path with great views of the bay. I have walked it three times now and I really enjoy it. A little before we left Portland I had tweaked my right knee so have been recovering ever since but I can’t pass up a good walk. I just have to be careful not to reinjure or further injure it.

When we are between ports it has been a good time to let the knee rest and recover. I can’t believe that I am as old as I am… except for stupid injuries I still feel about 25. What’s with that anyway? A veteran of so many miles under my keel doesn’t seem possible when I am waking up in the morning… then I put my foot to the floor and recall that everything doesn’t work as well as it once did. I am in the right place for me right now in so far as small aches and pains don’t really slow me down that much!! Maybe I just don’t know what slowed down is! At any rate, the best part of where we are right now is that we are close enough to much of we want to see and most of what we want to get to is within a fairly short walk. There is probably some study or statistic that says good things about all this but since I can’t cite any of that right now I will have to do with feeling good to be alive every day.

Well, it’s about time to light the BBQ and shish kabob some shrimp.

No comments: